The current rehabilitation care pathway for acquired brain injury (ABI) patients in North West London (NWL) is fragmented and hard to navigate, as it relies on access to services with multiple providers. This prevents appropriate and timely rehabilitation, with a negative impact on overall patient experience and outcomes.
The current referral process from acute care to rehabilitation:
- Is extremely complex and outdated (faxes are the primary means of referral)
- Is challenging to categorise patients to the appropriate care level
- Lacks visibility into services available and available capacity across providers
- Requires clinical staff to devote time and resource to chasing referrals, unsure if they are being picked up at the other end
- Redirects clinical time from patient contact to administrative tasks
- Varies significantly in referral to admission time, complicating acute bed planning further up the system